Friday, May 8, 2015

memories of mom

Memories of mom….


My mom thinks I only remember the bad times, or mistakes she made along the way, this isn’t true. I was blessed beyond measure with a Godly mother that taught me well. I recognize now as I parent my own children the fantastic work that they did as parents to raise me and not lose their mind. So for the record, this is how I remember it….

I remember always getting a kiss good night, I remember never wondering “if” we were having a home-cooked meal. It was always hot and on the table. I remember that my mother always held me responsible for my school work and never let me place blame elsewhere. I still clearly recall visions of siting in the middle of the floor making memories playing with Barbies or making homemade kites with her. I never doubted that she thought that I was smart and beautiful and could accomplish anything I set my mind to do. She never gave into my pity parties of,” cant’s and I’m not good enough. I have still frames in my mind of her holding me, crying as the elevator doors closed dropping me off at college.

I watched her, I watched her make my clothes. I watched her do her homework for her master’s after a long days’ work teaching second grade. I watched her clip coupons and cringe at the store when she realized she had forgotten them at home. I saw her take up for me, more times than I can count. While other mom’s refrained, I recall her jumping on the trampoline spending time with her girls. She did the little things that matter. I remember my first middle school dance buying me a new outfit, without me asking because she knew how much it meant to feel pretty. One memory that is etched forever in my mind’s eye is our trips to the mall fabric store before I was in kindergarten, just the two of us. She would hold my hand and we always bought a cookie from the big cookie store. I felt so loved, cared for, safe and taken care of. I think of it each time I grab the tiny fingers of MY own little girl and feel her squishy , sticky fingers in mine. I know I was loved. I remember. ..

No comments:

Post a Comment